Friday, December 16, 2011

Happiness Is...

...having both your children (6 and 8 y.o.) in suspense as to whether Elizabeth and Darcy will *ever* get together!


I have to admit that I was never really all that crazy about abridged versions of literature. I may be changing my mind a bit.


There is a series of book/CD sets of abridged classics that we've been reading/listening to lately. We've done everything from Captains Courageous and Moby Dick to A Christmas Carol and Pride and Prejudice. The kids are loving it.


On the downside of abridged versions I always kind of thought it was "cheating" a bit not to read the original.


On the upside, these are very high-reading level classics that they are now familiar with. They know the basic story line which is just enlightening. I also hope that someday when they're presented with the originals they're able to follow the storyline better since they know where it's going.


Any thoughts on abridged versions?

No comments:

Post a Comment